Do I have any legal recourse to force a buy-out?

Q:  I co-own a home I live in with my ex-fiancé. I have offered to buy her out of her share of the home. Her legal residence is at the home, but she hardly occupies the home (though she is paying her half of the mortgage every month). Do I have any recourse to force her into a buy-out (file for a “Partition” in court)?

A:  A partition action should be a last resort; as with any litigation, it can be very expensive.  Generally, these matters are best handled by mutual agreement, and where there is an emotional component as here, you might consider having a lawyer “mediate” the dispute and act as a go-between to discuss resolution with each side.

Filed Under: Legal